Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The water cycle unit study

So Caila has been learning about the water cycle for her science for the last week. We first read the Sonlight recommended book starting point science Vol 1 (I just love their choices in books but we prefer to find our own worksheets and projects this way we can spend as much or as little time on a certain subject as we want.
So after reading the first few pages of S.P.S. we colored in this water cycle page...

I then read the story of Mr. Drippy the rain drop.. it's the cutest story of the water cycle..Caila really enjoyed this!!

We also sang the water cycle song..

Water Cycle
By Lori-Ann Phelan

Clip to ScrapBook
(Sang to the tune of She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain)

Water travels in a cycle, yes it does
(use pointer finger to make a big circle)

Water travels in a cycle, yes it does
(repeat finger circle)

It goes up as evaporation
(moves hands up to the sky

Forms clouds as condensation
(make a cloud overhead with arms)

Then comes down as precipitation, yes it does!
(sprinkle with fingers while bringing arms down in front of you)

We then did our experiment of creating our own water cycle. We first made some home made clay and formed it into a shape of a mountain then placed it in a small Tupperware container and painted our mountain...then we added our "ocean".

I then laid a cooling rack across the top and placed a few pieces of ice on it and Caila covered it up with pieces of toilet paper (only because i didn't have any cotton balls to use as clouds) we then put it under a Mr.Sun which happened to be my husbands craft lamp when he was a kid..lol Who knew that watching ice melt could be so entertaining...lol

We are going to finish the unit off today by watching the Magic school bus movie about the water cycle which I found here to watch instantly and for free..BONUS!!
Rick's school day was just the usual stuff although we did start reading Little house in the big woods last week and have been working on a BIG lapbook for each chapter. I don't know who loves this book more the kids or me..lol I will post pictures when we finish our Little house lapbook but I must warn you we are taking our time because I have found so many fun lapbook ideas that we just want to make all the crafts!!!!
Here's a pic of Rick working on his new math (Rod and staff grade 2) that we started in Jan.. I have fallen in love with this math very much..it's a lot of review and workbook work which Rick likes plus I can really see what he understands and what we still need to work on... This is the notebook that I use instead of a chalkboard because it's just easier for me and makes for a nice review because we can always just look back.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great Tuesday too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)