Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Another prego problem

Well about a month ago I started getting severe rashes under my arms (out of the blue)and I really didn't know what to do about this problem or what brought this problem on... I mean it was itchier (if that's a word) than poison ivy or poison oak, and trust me I've had my fair share of both. Anyway it would get so bad that I was starting to spread the rash because I was itching so much. In an attempt to conceal the problem I would put anti itch topical cream on the rash and the problem would subside...for a little while. I mentioned it the my doctor and she just said to stop using my deodorant which is degree brand. Well not anymore.
Well on the same subject here is little funny story I was out with my dad when I was sick last week and I must have still had a fever at the time because 10 min into the car ride I started sweating like crazy (my fever was breaking)...and my dad turns to me and says ever so politely "I smell...something" now you have to remember that I can't even smell myself cause my nose is stuffed and all I can think about was how hot I was and how sweaty I was...My poor dad I had to explain how I can't wear deodorant anymore because of the horrible rash it gives me. Gotta love those hallmark moments!!
Anyway after that little episode I decided to look for deodorant alternatives and was really surprised at what I learned about deodorants like Arrid, digree, or secret... I learned that most conventional deodorants and antiperspirants contain several ingredients linked to serious health effects, from Alzheimer’s disease to virulent cancers. Since deodorants and antiperspirants are designed to stay on our bodies for hours, this allows the potential for more harmful chemicals to be absorbed through the skin and whatever is not absorbed is showered and our deodorants and antiperspirants are washed down the drain, introducing known or suspected toxins into our nation’s waterways. I know it sounds a little far fetched but I feel that much more proud that I can be apart of this natural deodorizing movement especially if it can help the environment in anyway possible...Plus I like that it's one more step closer to living a simpler life style.

If you want to join me here is the great homemade recipe that I found and love so far. Just remember you may need to give it a few weeks for your body to adjust. The more you use it the better it will work with your body. I wasn't using anything so I think that's why my body adjusted so quickly.
Ingredients for homemade deodorant:


Homemade Stick Deodorant
1. Put 1/4 cup each of baking soda and cornstarch** in a bowl with 10+ drops tea tree oil and 10 drops lavender oil for a nice smell.

2. This deodorant can be used as a powder, but if you want a stick, go to the shortening section of the store and buy coconut oil solid-at-room-temperature

3. Stir 2+ TBSP in until it’s the consistency you like.
4. Smash into empty deodorant container. (Will be a bit sturdier once it sets a day or so.)
If used correctly, this stuff is invisible and lasts for ages, as it works with a very light layer. You should not be able to SEE it once applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)