Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Keeping healthy the natural way


Well as you all know I am 6 monthes pregnant and was worried about all the sicknesses going around. I was worried that is until I accually got sick...it started as a sore throat and just got so bad that I had to go to the doc especially since my close friend was going through the same thing as was told she had tonsillitis so I figured I better go in too....and I ended up with bronchitis..not fun especially when pregnant but I was still able to go about my day I just sounded horrible.I was put on penicillin and was starting to feel much better BUT on the forth day of penicillin I felt worse and my symptoms were changing and they included fever,cough,runny nose, sore throat,body aches, major headaches,extreme exhaustion so I called the doctor when I realized I couldn't even take care of my own kids and they put me on tamiflu because I am high risk with being pregnant and all. The nice thing is I was all worried because the following week I was suossed to get the N1H1 flue shot and I really didn't want to because I really didn't feel comfortable because it's such a new vaccine and I normally don't get any vaccines nor do I usually get sick. So it solved my delimma although it wasen't much fun and I feel like I lost a whole week of my life.
So anyway the point of this post is to help you all prevent the same fate I endured last week. I was over at mamakenzstudio and she had a great post about "how not to get sick" and here are a couple of tips she had...

1.Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2.“Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap).

3.Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don’t trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4.Similar to 3 above, * clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. * Blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.

5.Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). * If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6.Drink as much warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc.) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.


7.And last of all, I just want to throw this little link out there with lots of ideas on how to combat and avoid the flu naturally. Get your Vitamin D and Elderberry ladies- they could save you this season!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! And I hope you are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)