Basic Soapmaking Directions: (for soap recipes only,print page 1- 9).
· Put on your safety goggles & neoprene gloves, combine your sodium hydroxide & your liquid, stir completely. Set the lye aside and allow it to cool between 100 - 125 degrees.
· Combine your oils & heat. Temperature of oils needs to be between 100 - 125 degrees. If you are coloring your soap, add it to your oils at this time.
· When both your lye & your oils are at approximately the same temperature (100 - 125 degrees) you need to combine them. Use precautions to avoid splashing.
· Stir until the mixture traces. (You can use your stick blender to speed up this process).
· Add your fragrance/essential oils and incorporate them into soap completely, then pour your soap into your molds.
All Vegetable Soap
28 ounces of coconut oil (2 jars)
24 ounces of olive oil (the cheapest and lightest in color)
30 ounces of vegetable shortening (the cheapest, and purest you can find)
12 ounces of lye (one standard can of Lewis Red Devil)
32 oz. cold water (4 cups)
1.5 - 4 ounces essential and/or fragrance oil depending on strength and your nose, if soap is not intended for remelting
Recipes Using Shortening:
24 oz. coconut oil
38 oz. vegetable shortening
24 oz. olive oil (added after melting the above)
4 cups (32 oz.) cold water (I prefer 24 to 28 oz.)
12 ounces lye crystals
Luxurious Lavender Lather Soap (P.M favorite recipe for awesome lather).
2 oz wt Avocado Butter
6 oz wt Coconut Oil
7 oz wt Olive Oil
8 oz wt Olive Butter
3 oz wt Shea Butter
10 oz wt Palm Kernel Oil
16 oz Distilled Water
5 oz wt Sodium Hydroxide
Easy Lotion Bars
4 ounces mango or shea butter
4 ounces beesweax, yellow or white
5 ounces liquid oil (jojoba or grapeseed are both excellent)
2 teaspoons of essential oil or fragrance oil
Brown Sugar and Lemon Scrub
A touch of lemon makes this scrub so refreshing! - Recipe submitted by Josephine Santos.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon of kalamansi or lemon
1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil(vco)
1 tablespoon of honey
Mix brown sugar and salt, then add kalamansi or lemon juice, virgin coconut oil and honey, mix well.
Breakfast for your Skin - (Oatmeal & Brown Sugar Scrub)
Exfoliates and is very moisturizing but doesn't leave a greasy feeling. Before you turn off your shower scoop a small handful of scrub into your hand. Rub gently onto your skin. Rinse.
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup ground oatmeal (not instant)
1/4 cup pure honey
3/4 to 1 cup (or to total saturation)
Oil of choice - I use Jojoba, Grapeseed or Sweet Almond
1/4 tsp Essential or Fragrance oil of choice (optional) Vanilla works nicely. Though this smells great on it's own.
Mix the brown sugar & oatmeal together in a large bowl. Now add the honey. Drizzle the oil over the mix. Mix well. When all your mix is saturated and sinks to the bottom of the bowl and you have oil on top you're done. Add your essential oil or fragrance oil. A six or eight ounce wide-mouthed jar works nicely. Spoon mixture in.
Ginger Cinammon-Salt Body Scrub by "AJ"
This body scrub has the fresh, invigorating scents of both ginger and cinnamon!
1 cup sea salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup almond oil or olive oil
Mix all ingredients together, then gently rub over your damp skin (except your face) to slough off dry skin. Rinse with warm water.