Monday, November 3, 2008

Thoughts about guns....


This just happened last week and it really hit home for me because my son has an interest in guns.
Thoughts about guns....
We are currently "training" little Rick about guns, he has a very big interest in them and there is no way around the subject... his daddy has a few guns and his poppy designs guns for Smith and Wesson. At first I thought he was too young and I still think he's alittle to young to be shooting a bebe gun. We do have rules for all his guns though...including his toy guns...
~we don't shoot at people
~we don't aim at people
~we don't walk around with our hand on the trigger
~and we are aware of our surroundings while handling a gun ( we look to see if anyone is around before shooting or putting our finger on the trigger)

Even with these rules in place guns worry me only because I have respect for them. I don't think that guns are the problem in society. It's not the gun that kills people it's the person that's killing people. It's media like these video games that go around shooting people...all it's doing is making kids curious and giving them a lack of respect for guns... and then you hear in the news that a boy shot himself while showing off his dad's gun to his friend. I think that if there is a gun in the house your child should be aware of it and I believe that the subject of guns should be talked about with your child, because keeping the gun locked away and a secret will only make a child more curious. This is such a sensitive subject with most parents that I usually have Rick keep his arsenal of toy guns at home, but I do miss the days of cowboy's and Indians and play could just be play.

Oh and I forgot to mention that this little boy didn't die from the gun shot he died because it took the ambulance 20 min to get to the shooting range, and in that waiting time he lost to much blood. The gun shot wasen't fatel.....
So please keep this family in your prayers because loosing a child has to be one of the hardest things to overcome in life...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I don't think keeping children ignorant is the answer. I think your family handles the issue in such a responsible way. There is still a need to be very watchful and cautious, of course, but better the child learns about them and the safety under the parents guidance in my opinion. It's our constitutional right to bear arms, so I hate to know some children are taught it's a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)