Saturday, December 4, 2010

Celebrating Advent


This year will be our first year celebrating Advent in a non commercialized way. I'm really trying to get away from the "S" word you know that word....Santa. It broke my heart when I asked Caila was Christmas was ll about and her response was "It's when you go to bed and hope Santa comes and gives you presents" So I decided that we were going to spend this year learning about St.Nicholas and advent and the nativity story and St. Lucia. I want to focus on the winter Solstice, and preparing for Christmas. This year will be our first year that we will be making every one's gifts which I will post about soon!!
So we started advent with a spiral that I made this year...I got the idea from rythemofahome blog except I just added a wooden tree slice base to our advent and I needle felted a pregnant Mary to circle the advent. And I will put a needle felted baby in her arms on Christmas day


The kids really love moving Mary everyday....and everyday we say our advent verse for that week which I found over at exhale,return to center another beautiful blog that I love to peak at..
In the first week of Advent shines,
The light of crystals in the mine
The rocks, the jewels and the stones
The seashells and our bones.
Now the stones are on the earth
Waiting for the Christ child’s birth.

In the second week of Advent shines
The green grass and the lovely trees
And all the flowers that we see.
Now the plants are on the earth
Waiting for the Christ child’s birth.

In the third week of Advent shines
The wondrous beast of every kind
Beasts who tread upon the earth
And gave their stable for the birth.
Now the beasts are on the earth
Waiting for the Christ child’s birth.

In the fourth week of Advent shines
Our open hearths, our hearts with love
And shining light from heaven above.
Now we are on the earth
Waiting for the Christ Child’s birth.

And on Sunday's we light our yule log which we drilled holes in and filled with walnut tea lights.
And on Sunday we say this verse...Advent,Advent a candle burns,First one, then two, then three, then four, Then comes the Christ child to the door.


We also have our winter nature table up too. We went out and picked some pine clippings and pine cones and I also made some polar bears and a cave for the nature table too...( This is also our first winter nature table)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the inspiration!! I created a very similar advent spiral this year thanks to you and my daughter LOVED it :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)