Thursday, September 29, 2011

Saint George and the Dragon


St. Michael's Harvest Song
In autumn Saint Michael with sword and with shield
Passes over meadow and orchard and field.
He's on the path to battle 'gainst darkness and strife -
He is the heavenly warrior protector of life.

The harvest let us gather with Michael's aid;
The light he sheddeth fails not nor does it fade,
and when the corn is cut and the meadows are bare
We'll don Saint Michael's armour and onward we'll fare.

We are Saint Michael's warriors with strong heart and mind,
We forge our way through darkness Saint Michael to find.
And there he stand in glory; Saint Michael we pray,
Lead us into battle and show us thy way.
- Anonymous

This is our second year celebrating St.Michaelmas although we celebrated this festival last year I was still very new to Waldorf and the festival celebrated. Although I am a very loose waldorf homeschooling mama I do try to incorporate a waldorf spin on things because I do love it so. This year I was much more prepared and we started learning verses and reading stories like St. George and the Dragon and A Michaelmas story: The story of George & the dragon
We also set up a play scape in the living room so the kids could play the parts with the St.George and Princess Una that I painted last night.


We then decided to do a watercolor painting of the dragon, the princess and the knight. We did a resistance painting..which is a drawing first with oil pastels then you watercolor over your drawing and it really makes it POP!!

In the late afternoon we also made some Dragon bread dough in our bread machine here is the recipe..
1 and 1/4 c warm water
2 tsp better
3 C flour (we use 2 C white and 1 C wheat)
1 and 1/2 tsp salt (we used our seaweed sea shakers)
3 TBS sugar
1 and 1/2 TBS dry milk
2 tsp yeast
(I also added Dried Nettles to turn it green)
Select dough machine, when finished I placed it on our stone and shaped it like a dragon let rise alittle more for about 30 min then bake for 30-40 min at 350 degrees..
I would show a picture but it seriously looked more like a dinosaur rather then a dragon...but everyone loved the fresh bread with dinner even if it was a dino bread rather then a dragon bread lol
Hope you all had a fun day too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)