Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What winter days are made of


Well we finally have been getting some winter weather complete with below freezing temps and jack frost nipping at our noses, and what a difference from the last few weeks of mid 40's temps and the kids just playing outside with just a sweater on. I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this winter weather that is upon us now, you see I love being house bound in winter weather. There's nothing more special then cuddling up on the couch with the kids and reading a good book while there's a roaring fire in the fireplace and the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven...this is what winter is to me. As much as I love house bound winter days I am eagerly awaiting spring weather...I just love getting my bare feet in the dirt of my garden, especially because I hope to add a few more beds to our garden, as well as a plot for just culinary and medicinal herbs. I love poking around in the garden and listening to the sound of the kids playing and giggling in our yard...I dreamed about those moments for so many years when we were saving for a house. I know I should just being savoring these times now and not rushing to the future especially being pregnant I should be just enjoying these special moments...I just can't help it though:-)
These days we have been enjoying our fireplace and the smell of fresh baked breads. We've also been focusing on school and one of my new year's goals of decluttering and getting a family cleaning rhythm down pat before the new baby comes. Rick (my hubby) and I have been talking about giving the children more daily chores so this week we started a chore chat from which we got the idea from The country blossom. The kids are really excited about it and they love to put their names on the hooks when they have completed their chores. I believe I will be vititing the country blossoms blog quite often this year because she is just so organized and has wonderful ideas please check out her blog if you get a chance...I know I'm hooked!!
I've also been busy these last few days knitting up a hat for Jameson especially with the cold weather here he really needed a winter hat!! I especially love the way this one came out and it was very quick to knit up..I just added a crocheted edging in contrasting color....unfortunately I didn't notice the hat size and it fits my daughter better then my son...so I will be stating that same hat pattern over again just on a smaller scale....BIG OOPS....yeah I'm still new to knitting clothing so this is a learning process for me, luckily i enjoy it and don't mid taking it out just to start it over again!! Oh and by the way the pattern can be found here if you are interested.
Here are some pictures from the last few days...
Monday's fresh baked breads

Here is our roaring fire that we had going all day yesterday from our house to yours...

Our Martin Luther King Jr. lapbooks that we finished yesterday...


And last but not least the completed knitted hat that is 2 sizes to big for Jameson...oops

Well I have to go start school for the day today we are going to pretend that it's poetry day today even though it really was yesterday (oops again I really have mommy brain these days) So I think we will spend a good part of the day diving into wonderful poems and trying a hand at it ourselves... Wishing you all a wonderful day as well!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, so much for linking to me and your kind words...truly, I could be *more* organized. I am so terribly imperfect...I hope I never seem otherwise on my blog. All my goodness comes from Christ alone. :)

    I am glad the chore chart is going well! The photos from your home are lovely! I love the breads and that hat you knitted is wonderful!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Oh please let me know you stopped by. I love to read comments on my blog:)